Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins... Not really a review

I have just re-read Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games.

I do not think I am capable of reviewing this one. At least not until I'm in a cooler head. Besides, unless you've been living under a rock for the last year or so, you probably have been bombarded with so much information about them that little I can say will surprise you.

On the other hand, there's a chance that someone will happen upon this blog who has heard about this book but never quite made up their mind whether to read it or not. I'm speaking to you now, person undecided. And I say, Yes. Read it.

IF...

- you are thirteen or older and can handle a lot of violence and emotion in your reading {fourteen might be better yet}
- you are willing to be immersed in a wild and cruel world where many questions are asked and unanswered
- you are ready to have your entire outlook on life shifted for the next year or so.

This is not a book to read and forget; much less to read and forget are the next two in the series. It's a book that squirms down into your subconscious.
And I love it.

There are some quotes I would adore to put up here, but they're probably too spoilery. Take it from me; Ms. Collins is a good writer.

On the further positive side... it's exceptionally decent as YA books go - hey, as any books go... as long as romance is not objectionable in itself.
Not a Christian book, but intensely moral. Discussion points abound.
In fact, if you're here and you're not the Undecided I mentioned, feel free to Discuss things in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment