Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Mastiff, by Tamora Pierce

Today's book is a bit of a long way off... more's the pity. There's not even a blurb up yet. I suppose blurb-writers do not work in May for what they need in October.

So I'm going to wax lyrical about this series.

I looked somewhat dubiously at Tamora Pierce's Beka Cooper books when I found them. I've never been much of a fan of her novels; I don't appreciate her romances and the battle scenes are too frequent to be pleasant sometimes. But I'd heard good things about Terrier, so I went to research online. Other reviews spoke highly of it, so I checked it out.

Well, it was great.

In her long career, Tamora Pierce has proved that writers never stop growing. Terrier seems like a completely different book from First Test. The writing is much better, the plot more exciting, the setting and society richly detailed. I found it the best use of journal format that I'd ever read!
Of course I had to read Bloodhound next. Sadly, I didn't think it quite measured up to the first book in its series. The romance was a factor again, and I found the plot less interesting.

But I hope the end of October will find me with a library copy of Mastiff in my hands, sneaking a peek over the shoulder of Beka Cooper until late into the night!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read any recent tamora pierce books but her older ones like the alanna series are some of my all-time favorite books. hope mastiff will be all you hope it would be. happy reading :)

    Stop by our WoW.

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tamora Pierce she is one of my all time favourite writers. I have Terrier and Bloodhound but I haven't read them yet I knew I was going to be in for a bit of a long wait for Mastiff so decided to hold off and read them all together. It's been pretty hard to do but the end is almost in sight!
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/waiting-on-wednesday-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Tamora Pierce and I look forward to this one too! :)

    -Sandra from http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete